1. The Hon’ble Supreme Court in its judgment given on 13th August 1997 in the Writ Petition (Criminal)Nos. 666-70 of 1992 laid down guidelines to prevent sexual harassment of women at work place and directed that these guidelines should be strictly observed in all work places for the preservation and enforcement of the right to gender equality of working women. These guidelines would be binding and enforceable in law until suitable legislation is enacted to occupy the field.
2. According to the order of the Supreme Court mentioned above, sexual harassment includes such unwelcome sexually determined behaviour as: a) Physical contact and advances; b) A demand or request for sexual favours; c) Sexually coloured remarks; d) Showing pornography; e) Any other unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of sexual nature.
3. The Hon’ble Supreme Court directed all employers or persons incharge of work place to take appropriate steps to prevent sexual harassment of women and to bring to the notice of all employees the prohibition of sexual harassment as defined above in work places. They are further, required to ensure that there was no hostile environment towards women at work places and no woman employee was disadvantaged in connection with her employment.
4. The Department of Personnel and Training has already amended the Central Civil Service (Conduct) Rules, 1964 vide Notification dated 13th February 1998 inserting the following rule –Rule 3C Prohibition of Sexual Harassment of working women: a) No Government servant shall indulge in any act of sexual harassment of any woman at her work place. b) Every Government servant who is incharge of a work place shall take appropriate steps to prevent sexual harassment to any woman at such work place.
5. In pursuance of the Supreme Court order, this Institute has constituted a “Complaints Committee” to which women employees may address their complaints through the Member-Secretary, if any, regarding sexual harassment. The Committee will comprise:
- Dr. Beena Pandey Research Associate as Chairperson
- Mr. V.Krishnnamani Dy. Director (Finance & Accounts as Member
- Smt. Sushma Bhat Dy. Director (Data Management) as Member-Secretary
- Prof. Anuradha Chenoy Centre for Russian and Central Asian Studies School of International Studies, JNU as External Member
6. The contents of communication may kindly be brought to the notice of all officers and staff.
7. This issue will be resolved with the approval of the competent authority.
8. For detailed guidelines click here.